J-1 Waivers

Many foreign nationals who enter the U.S. in J exchange visitor visa status to pursue a specific, non-permanent educational or cultural objective are subject to a two-year home residency requirement, which must either be satisfied or waived (by USCIS) before the individual can change status to H, L, or K or seek permanent residency (obtain green card status). This means that even long-time nonimmigrants (such as those in G-4, O, E or another status) who were once subject to this requirement, remain subject.
Our firm has successfully obtained waivers in this niche area for our clients.If compliance is not an option, the individual can petition the government to waive the requirement if good reasons so dictate. There are four ways in which to obtain a waiver of the two-year home rule:
  • exceptional hardship to the individual’s U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or child(ren) due to medical, psychological, or financial reasons, both if the family was separated or if they lived abroad for two years (hardship to the individual applicant is not considered)
  • no objection statement from the individual’s home country (often, other compelling evidence is required especially if the J-1 accepted Fulbright, USAID, or other U.S. government funding regardless of the amount of funding);
  • interested government agency (IGA) recommendation from a federal U.S. agency that has a public interest in the individual’s uninterrupted stay in United States;
  • persecution based on race, religion, or political opinion.

Testimonials from Fellow Lawyers

Mr. Ewusi’s vast experience speaks for itself. He is thoroughly knowledgeable and highly efficient. I consider him a valued asset in our field of immigration law.

N. David Mufuka Immigration Attorney on Nov 13, 2014

contact us

We handle Immigration cases in all US states and Internationally.

other practice areas

call us to get started

It does not matter what state you live in, we are able to meet and speak to you through skype and we can represent you.

If you have a situation that requires assistance from an Immigration Attorney, we urge you to call our office or send us an email and we will contact you without delay.

  • Washington, DC

    1717 K Street NW
    Suite 900
    Washington , DC 20036

  • Wilmington, DE

    1000 N West Street
    Suite 1200
    Wilmington DE 19801