Family Immigration

A foreign citizen seeking to live permanently in the United States requires an immigrant visa (IV). To be eligible to apply for an IV, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by an immediate relative who is at least 21 years of age and is either a U.S. citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (that is, a green-card holder).

There are two types of family-based immigrant visas:

Immediate Relative – these visas are based on a close family relationship with a U.S. citizen, such as a spouse, child or parent. The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year.

Family Preference – these visas are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). The number of immigrants in these categories is limited each fiscal year. 

Keep in mind that U.S. citizens can file an immigrant visa petition for their:

  •  Spouse
  •  Son or daughter
  •  Parent
  • Brother or sister

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can only file an immigrant visa petition for their:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried son or daughter

Sponsorship Requirements

Learn about the responsibilities and requirements for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents who wish to sponsor a family member.

Application Process

Get a step-by-step guide on how to initiate and complete your family-based immigrant visa application.

Contact Us

Ready to reunite your family in the U.S.? Contact Fibi Law today for a consultation.

External Link Suggestion

For more detailed information on family-based immigrant visas, you can link to the official U.S. Department of State’s page:
U.S. Department of State – Family-Based Immigrant Visas

Book Your FREE Consultation Now - (800) 842-0316
This is default text for notification bar